Monday, October 17, 2011

My New Art!

Ok it's FINALLY done!  My little hotel art project - which I thought I could finish quickly - is finally done.  Woohoo!  I first wrote about the project HERE.  In that post, I described the whole process of taking everything apart, painting the 'canvas', and putting it all back together again.  There were still a few more steps left.  Yeah, this was a long process...

In a nutshell, I bought some art from Salvation Army for $10 each -


And turned them into this -


I actually made my own paintings!  Really! Check out My Life as an Artist to see how.
Now, I just had to get them hung up.  I removed the old hangers -


Next, I wanted to cover the back of the frames (like they were when I bought them).  I decided to use paper grocery bags cut to size.  Because they were free.  :-)


Then, I added two new hangers so I could use wire to hang the pictures.


And up they went!  So here are the before and afters -





And a before and after of the dining room wall -



It was a little more involved than I thought it would be, but I'm happy with the result.  So how much did I spend?

$20.00 - two frames
$14.00 - spray paint (1 can of Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze and 1 can of Rustoleum White in Satin)
$20.00 - paint and brushes (I have lots left over)
$2.66 - new hangers (I already had the wire)

Total - $56.66 for two pieces of art!  Which is a lot cheaper than my inspiration piece -

John-Richard Collection "Peace & Harmony" Giclee Art

I had found this at Horchow for $998.90!  I know - my little knock offs aren't exactly the same but I like them.  It was my first attempt at making art ever and it was kinda fun.  And it was a frugal way to fill up my large blank dining room wall.  I may have to try this again!

I've linked this project here -

Beyond the Picket Fence
Fireflies and Jellybeans
Fingerprints on the Fridge
My Romantic Home
Remodelaholic
504 Main
The Shabby Nest
The DIY Showoff
30 Handmade Days
Its So Very Cheri
Craft O Maniac
Dittle Dattle
Between Naps on the Porch
Home Savvy A to Z
The DIY Home Sweet Home Project
Under the Table and Dreaming