Monday, October 17, 2011

My New Art!

Ok it's FINALLY done!  My little hotel art project - which I thought I could finish quickly - is finally done.  Woohoo!  I first wrote about the project HERE.  In that post, I described the whole process of taking everything apart, painting the 'canvas', and putting it all back together again.  There were still a few more steps left.  Yeah, this was a long process...

In a nutshell, I bought some art from Salvation Army for $10 each -

And turned them into this -

I actually made my own paintings!  Really! Check out My Life as an Artist to see how.
Now, I just had to get them hung up.  I removed the old hangers -

Next, I wanted to cover the back of the frames (like they were when I bought them).  I decided to use paper grocery bags cut to size.  Because they were free.  :-)

Then, I added two new hangers so I could use wire to hang the pictures.

And up they went!  So here are the before and afters -

And a before and after of the dining room wall -

It was a little more involved than I thought it would be, but I'm happy with the result.  So how much did I spend?

$20.00 - two frames
$14.00 - spray paint (1 can of Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze and 1 can of Rustoleum White in Satin)
$20.00 - paint and brushes (I have lots left over)
$2.66 - new hangers (I already had the wire)

Total - $56.66 for two pieces of art!  Which is a lot cheaper than my inspiration piece -

John-Richard Collection "Peace & Harmony" Giclee Art

I had found this at Horchow for $998.90!  I know - my little knock offs aren't exactly the same but I like them.  It was my first attempt at making art ever and it was kinda fun.  And it was a frugal way to fill up my large blank dining room wall.  I may have to try this again!

I've linked this project here -

Beyond the Picket Fence
Fireflies and Jellybeans
Fingerprints on the Fridge
My Romantic Home
504 Main
The Shabby Nest
The DIY Showoff
30 Handmade Days
Its So Very Cheri
Craft O Maniac
Dittle Dattle
Between Naps on the Porch
Home Savvy A to Z
The DIY Home Sweet Home Project
Under the Table and Dreaming