Monday, March 12, 2012

Orb Chandelier

I am super excited to share this project.  It is one of my favorite projects ever.  Why?  Well, it's easy, cheap, and high impact (oh, and I got to use spray paint which is always a bonus).  Ready to see my new Orb Chandelier?


It started out like this - 


And it only cost $10.  Really.  But before I explain all the how-to's, let me explain my inspiration.  I have loved this $399 chandy from Ballard Design for a long time now - 


Beautiful isn't it?  But way out of my price range.  Then, a few months ago, I came across Mandi from Vintage Revivals and her caged basket chandelier tutorial - 


And I realized that I could make my own Orb Chandelier - using 2 hanging baskets.  So, I made a quick trip to Walmart.  I found the hanging planters in the gardening section.  And they were only $5 each.  I picked up two and was ready to go.


Still not seeing it?  Well, look at the structure of the baskets - 


So, I started with my really ugly brass and glass light fixture.



I removed the glass panels (they just hung loosely) - 


Here's a close up - 


I took the fixture down (I've installed many light fixtures over the years and find it to be a very easy project.  If you want to try this, and it's your first time working with electrical fixtures, just remember to turn off the power before you get started.  Usually, removing an old fixture is as easy as unscrewing it from the ceiling, lowering the fixture, and loosening two wire nuts.  It may be best to work with someone who has done this sort of work before to show you the ropes.)

Once it was down, I knew that I wanted to get rid of that big wheel-like section in the middle.  That meant taking the fixture apart.  I unscrewed the top and began removing each piece until I reached the wheel section - 


Then, I put the rest of the pieces back on (In this case, I needed a spacer to fill in for the missing wheel.  I used a large nut that we had in our junk box.  It isn't visible but keeps the upper pieces of the light in place.).

Now for the fun part - adding the hanging planters.  I played around with them a little until I decided exactly how I wanted them to look.  


I decide to use the clips that came with them - but I needed to lose the chain.


I used three clips to hold the two baskets together.  To make it a little clearer, here's a picture of the light before I spray painted it - 


And let me add, this fixture was almost screaming for this update (and not just because it was hideous).  It fits perfectly inside these baskets.  Which was a happy accident.  I didn't really measure anything.  :-)  It could be one of the smoothest projects I've ever done here. Because, usually something goes wrong.  Or doesn't work.  Or hits a snag.  But not this project.  As a matter of fact, the circle at the top of the basket rests perfectly on the chandelier (keeping it in place).  It kind of makes me not want to measure stuff from now on...

Ok, back to the light.  Once I had it the way I wanted, I grabbed my Rustoleum Oil-Rubbed Bronze and hit it with a few light coats of paint (I just painted the light - not the baskets.  And, up-close, the baskets have a little color variance.  So, I tried to mimic that on the fixture.).  I don't have a picture of the spray paint, but it's the same paint I've used on my buffet lamps, $1.49 lamp, and dining room frames.  Once the paint was dry, Craig and I hung it back up.  This wasn't too difficult either, but it does take four hands, so I don't have any pictures...






I think it looks great!  It casts a beautiful shadow on the ceiling too (another happy accident).  And I love the price!  I only spent $10 (I had the spray paint on hand - and it didn't take too much.).  Oh, but I did change out the bulbs to give it a more modern look (and there is still a lot of debate in the house about whether those will stay...).  Considering Ballard wants $399 for a similar light, I think I did pretty well!  What do you think?

I've shared this project here - 

Tip Junkie handmade projects