Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Homemade Dishwasher Rinse Aid - I Pinned It and Did it!

So a while back, my husband and I started noticing that our glasses weren't getting clean in our dishwasher.  We were a little confused by this problem because our dishwasher wasn't that old.  We had thought about calling our appliance repairman but hesitated since it was no longer under warranty.  Instead, I began hand washing our glasses.  Which was kind of a pain.  It took a lot of time and looked messy having dishes constantly drying on our counter top.   We soon discovered the cause of our cloudy glass problem - changes in the ingredients of our dish washing liquid.  And all brands were affected.  So, I continued to hand wash.  adding more work to my day.  Until Monday.  I was searching through Pinterest and I found the solution.  A homemade rinse agent.  And here's the best part - it's cheap!


I found this tip at Whole New Mom.  Ready?  Just add white vinegar to the rinse aid compartment.  Yup, that's all.  So, I tried it.  And it worked!!  Woohoo!  The glasses were so clear.  We actually thought all of the dishes felt cleaner.  It was just what I was looking for.  BTW, I simply added white vinegar, as my indicator will tell me when I need to add more.  If your dishwasher doesn't have an indicator, you can add a drop of food coloring to the vinegar so it's easier to see in the compartment.

I love this tip!  And I am so happy to be able to put everything in the dishwasher again!