Thursday, May 10, 2012

Trix Treats - I Pinned It And Did It!


As I mentioned before, we had a busy weekend.  Not only did we knock off some landscaping, but we had a bunch of kid stuff too.  Like my son's rugby game.  Yeah, I know...rugby?  Well, he loves it (and since he's going to be 18 in a few days, I can't really tell him not to play...).  This is his second year playing for his high school team and we've learned a lot about the sport.  Mainly, that as crazy and (seemingly) violent as it is, there is a lot of tradition.  For example, the home team is responsible for providing a meal to the two teams after the game.  So, after they crush each other for an hour and a half, they eat and chat with each other.  It's actually kind of nice.

Anyway, last weekend, we were the home team.  I signed up to bring desserts.  I figured this would be a great way to test some of the recipes I had found on Pinterest.  :-)  I made Trix Treats.  Because nothing says rough and tumble more than these -


I found the recipe at Cravings of a Lunatic and really wanted to try them.  And they were very easy to make - only three ingredients - 

Trix cereal
mini marshmallows
butter

I did have to make some adjustments to her recipe.  This is what the original recipe called for - 

1 400g bag of mini marshmallows (about 2 cups)  
10 cups Trix cereal
1/4 cup butter

I was confused right off the bat because 1 400g bag of marshmallows is way more than 2 cups.  So I decided to check out the official Rice Krispies Treats recipe for clarification.  They called for 4 cups which seemed about right.  And they only used 6 cups of Rice Krispies cereal (much less than the Trix recipe).  So, I modified the whole thing.  Here's what I used - 

4 cups mini marshmallows
8 cups Trix cereal
1/4 cup butter

And it worked well.  If I make them again, I will probably add more marshmallows but these were still very good.


Just in case you've never made Rice Krispies Treats before, here's how easy these are to make - 

Place the marshmallows and butter in the microwave to melt (about 2-3 minutes).  Use a large bowl - the marshmallows will expand.

Stir.

Add the Trix.  Stir.

Spread into a greased 9 x 13 pan (Use a greased spoon to smooth).

let cool and cut.

And if you're wondering, the rugby players loved them. And, Andrew's team won.  So it was a nice afternoon.

I've shared this recipe here - Young House Love, Bower Power, Centsational Girl, Ten June