Sunday, September 25, 2011

Free Candlestick Makeover

I want to share a fun little project that I did this week.  As I have mentioned, I am transforming old junk that I have around the house.  I am trying to find creative ways to use things that have lived in the backs of cabinets and closets for years.  As we all know, it can cost a fortune to accessorize a house - and I do not want to spend a fortune.   If you're still counting, this is junk transformation number three.  You can check out the other transformations here and here.

This time I started with a pair of candlesticks -


I decided to wrap them in jute - which I already had from this project.  I started from the bottom, and applied a dot of hot glue to the candlestick -


I continued to apply hot glue and press the jute in to place.  Around and around -


I stopped near the top - leaving the wood exposed - which allowed me to tuck the jute under a ridge to hide the end -


I purchased two white candle at Walmart for $1.88 each.  And here is what they look like now -




I moved them into the dining room - which I just painted.  (check out that before and after here.) -


I really like the dark wood around the top of the candlestick - it complements the dark wood from the mirror frame.  And other than a couple of bucks to buy new candles, the whole project was free!  Here's the before and after -



So much better!

I've linked this project here -

Between Naps on the Porch
Polly Want a Crafter
The Blackberry Vine
A Diamond in the Stuff
Today's Creative Blog
733 Blog
My Repurposed Life
Chic on a Shoestring
Remodelaholic
Dittle Dattle
Marvelously Messy
Craft O Maniac
The DIY Showoff
Under the Table and Dreaming
Funky Junk Interiors