Thursday, September 1, 2011

Winter's Day Dresser

I have finally completed my dresser project!  Woohoo!  In case you missed the beginning of this story, you can check out all the details here and here.  There was some prep work involved - I had to use wood putty to fix some of the damage -

I also had to glue and clamp a piece of loose veneer -

I sanded the whole dresser and gave it a coat of Kilz oil based primer -

Then I applied two coats of Olympic Winter's Day in satin (it's a very light gray) -

I then had to come up with solutions to two problems - I needed hardware (and I didn't want to spend a lot of money - the dresser was only $30 to begin with) and I had to cover a line of missing trim on the bottom drawer.  Well, it was missing after I ripped it out.  It was broken and beyond fixing when I bought it -

I needed an inexpensive "repair" -

So, I went to Hobby Lobby and bought jute.  I used 4-ply to fix the drawer "problem" -

I hot-glued it in place.  And I tucked the ends under so they wouldn't fray.  Then I used 6-ply jute to make handles -

It tied the whole look together - and complemented the rope detail on the dresser.  So here's the before and after -

I really like how this turned out - the jute makes it a little more casual which is perfect for our family room.  And it kept the whole project affordable (the whole thing was under $60 and I have tons of leftover paint and jute).  On to the next project...

I've shared this project here -

Stuff and Nonsense
My Romantic Home
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Thirty Handmade Days
Funky Junk Interiors
A Diamond in the Stuff
Savvy Southern Style
733 Blog
Creations By Kara
Fireflies and Jellybeans