Wednesday, February 29, 2012

My New Favorite Site (And a Reminder)

I had a completely different post planned for today but...

I have found a new site that I just LOVE.  And, according to my daughter, it's been around for a long time.  But as usual, I'm a little late to the party.  :-)  Ready?  Have you heard of Polyvore?  It's a website that allows you to create virtual outfits.  I made a few last night -




You've probably seen these "style boards" all over Pinterest.  Yesterday, I took the plunge and opened my own (free) account.  And it is awesome. It's sort of like paper dolls for grown ups.  Not only does the site have thousands of images (usually with brand name and price info attached) but you can add a "Clip to Polyvore" button on your toolbar and add your own images.  Which of course I did.  I clipped a couple of images from Old Navy (like the sweater and flip flops below) - 


It's fun putting outfits together - and finding your style - for free.  Or, if you don't want to waste spend hours looking through images of awesome clothes, you can choose to follow other people's collections.  (In case you're interested, I'm kristenmycoveredbridge).  I've also added my outfits to Pinterest (you can find me at Kristen @ My Covered Bridge - just click the button on the sidebar).   Head over to see my other virtual outfits!  

So, why do I like this site so much?  A couple of reasons.  It's a great way to see what goes well together - without even leaving your house.  And it can be used as a reminder of items you want to buy (when they go on sale of course!).  Sort of a pre-made shopping list for your next mall trip.

Btw, I have no affiliation with Polyvore and have not been compensated in any way for this post.  I'm just a fan.  (But, if I could find some way to make "spend endless hours putting cute outfits together on Polyvore" my full-time job, I'd be a very happy camper.  Are you listening Polyvore??  Call me...)


On a side note - this is the LAST day that Google Friend Connect will work for non-blogger blogs (I am a blogger blog, so, for now, you can still follow me through GFC.  Rumor has it that GFC will be going away completely soon.).  If you have other favorite blogs that you want to keep up on, you need to follow them in some other way.  I will be spending a good amount of time today signing up to follow my favorite blogs on BlogLovin.  I started using it last week, and it works well for me (you can follow My Covered Bridge on BlogLovin by clicking on the link on my sidebar).  I think that this is the easiest way to search through new posts.  It's a simple, user-friendly dashboard.  Right now, it's my number one choice for following blogs.  Of course, there are other options - Facebook, Linky Followers, RSS feed, and Email to name a few.  But the important thing to remember is that time is running out.  Don't leave your favorite blogs behind!