Monday, March 5, 2012

Goals 2012 - Updated

How can it be March already?  I mean really - this year is flying!  So, it's time to see how I'm doing on my goals for 2012.  Let's check out the progress (and in some cases, the lack there of...).


Goals For My Blog -

1.  Revamp.  I've been pretty successful in getting this done.  I still have a couple more tweaks left but most of the work is done.  I've changed my header, sidebar, and all of my pages - making them neater and easier to navigate.  I've also added a button and a favicon.  I've shared a few tutorials (and I plan to share a few more) to help other bloggers.  So far, so good.

2.  Add new features.  I've done this too.  I've discussed how I save money, new websites that I've found (and love...Polyvore...), and recipes that I've tried. I've also shared tips on cleaning and organization.

3.  Introduce new blogs.  I've done this too.  I shared a list of my favorite larger blogs a couple of weeks ago and I'm putting together a list of my favorite smaller blogs now.  I'll put that out soon.  I've also added an opportunity for free ad space on my sidebar with a button swap.  Check out my blog friends when you get a chance.  

4.  Host guest bloggers - I've been able to participate in a couple of blog swaps.  I love introducing my readers to new bloggers.  And I hope to continue with this.  If you'd like to do a guest post, send me an email - kmwerynski@gmail.com.

5.  Start a link party.  Well, I didn't start a party, but I was fortunate enough to co-host a party!  And I really enjoyed it.  I looked at every project - and learned so much.  There are some very talented ladies out there!


Goals For My House -


Let me sum up the remodeling progress - I haven't done enough.  I am thisclose to finishing 2 rooms.  Yay!  And they will be done this week.  I'll feel so much better when they are done.  It's amazing how a couple of small details can prevent a room from being done.  And how long it can take to tackle those small details.  But, I can't wait to share my master bath and foyer.  Finally.  Here's the hold ups - 


Two doors that are primed but not painted in the foyer.  (which isn't too bad considering there were seven doors to paint in total.).  These two doors were replacements for older six-panel doors that had been cut in half (vertically) to make some sort of folding door.  They had to go.  The new doors will be painted this week.


A little drywall repair.  We added two sconces to the master bathroom but had a difficult time finding the wires behind the newer drywall.  We called on the help of our electrician and friend to locate the wires - this turned out to be much trickier than I thought it would be.  But, again, this should be cleaned up this week.  Then I can share our master bathroom.  Want a sneak peek?


There's a little corner of our shower...  I'll share a whole lot more (it was a huge undertaking!) soon.

As for the rest of our house goals, we want to finish these two rooms before moving on.  And we have some plans for the living and laundry rooms next.  And I'm hoping we can get some work done outside soon too.  

I still have a lot left on my list, but we're getting closer!


Goals For My Budget -


I've been doing well on my budget goals this year.  The whole family is watching the spending.  It really helps to get everyone on board.  And as we try to spend less, I've also been trying to earn more.  In an effort to earn more, I contacted a local store in hopes of selling my art and painted furniture.  They are interested - and I am happy!  It's a great opportunity for me and I'm excited to get started!

One of my other budget goals this year was to enjoy a free Christmas.  I love Christmas, but I always get anxious about spending so much money.  I figured with some planning early on, I could find ways to spend nothing in December.  How am I planning on accomplishing this?  Get free stuff.  The best way for me to get stuff for free is using Swagbucks.  You can find the link on my sidebar (in full disclosure, I receive a small compensation if you join from that link).  I have been a member of Swagbucks for a few years (way before I had a blog) and I've loved it.  So when I started my blog, I searched them out.  I love telling people about them.  I mean, it's free money.  In case you aren't familiar with Swagbucks, it's primarily a search engine.  You can earn swagbucks for searching the internet each day.  Then, you can cash them in for gift cards (or merchandise).  I cash them in for Amazon gift cards. (450 swagbucks = $5 Amazon GC).  Right now, I have $70 in Amazon gift cards and another $10 waiting for approval.  My husband is also a member and he has $30 in his account.  Hopefully, by the end of the year, we will have about $400 to spend - and it's all going towards Christmas presents.  It's going to help a lot!  A little planning goes a long way.

I have a few other sources for making a debt free holiday - like online survey sites (I like erewards - although I have no affiliation with them.  For every $45 in rewards earnings, you can cash it in for a $25 American Eagle gift card.  I usually get a few of those a year.).  And I'm saving all of my loose change (I have cashed in $31 at coinstar - no affiliation - for an Old Navy gift card).  Oh, and I get a lot of free stuff at Walgreens, Rite-Aid, CVS, JCPenney, Kohl's and Victoria's Secret (just regular underwear - let's not get crazy).  I'm saving all of that stuff for the holiday too.


Goals For My Life - 


So, how am I doing on my life goals?  I give myself a B.  I have been trying to eat better.  But I haven't been perfect.  I can still improve on this one.  Luckily, my husband, Craig, also wants to improve here (actually, he does pretty well on this).  It is so much easier when you have someone to work with!  

I started exercising a couple of weeks ago.  And a little background here - I used to exercise a lot.  I ran about 8 miles a day, 5 days a week.  And I loved it.  As I got older, I did slow down a little.  And then, two years ago, I herniated a disc in my back.  I was unable to do anything.  Recovery has been long and slow.  And I've had many set backs.  But I really missed exercising - and how I felt afterwards.  So, I started up again.  But pushed a little too much - and paid the price.  I had to stop after a few days so I could heal.  I understand that I can no longer do the things that I used to.  I'm working towards a new goal.  I plan to do a lot of walking (which I have always loved too).  And I've been searching the internet for exercises that are more appropriate for my limitations.  It's a little frustrating, but I'm learning to accept it.

And my other goals?  I want to be more confident, more organized, and more efficient.  I'm going in the right direction but I have a long way to go.  It seems like I have been super busy lately and I haven't made these goals a priority.  I need to start focusing on them (after all, my April update will be here before you know it!).

So, overall, I'm pleased.  I haven't accomplished everything I've set out to do this year - but we are only two months in.  I've got time!