Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Fireplace

I am working on the last item on my Family Room to-do list.  I am really excited about this because it seems like there are thousands of things on my to-do list.  Crossing off a whole room is huge!  Oh, I still need to finish decorating it.  But, it's nice to have the reno done.  Anyway...

The whole room started out with four walls of paneling.  And faux wood ceiling beams.  I figured I would just paint everything to brighten it up.  But, of course, that would be too easy.  The family room opened up to the sun room add-on.  Which is great.  The old exterior sliding glass door between them - not so great.  Since we knew we had to remove the door, we would expose a section of drywall where the jam used to be.  And that was just the start.  We realized, after living in the home for a while, that the ceiling beams made the room feel too short.  I mean, this is a house from the 60's - before vaulted ceilings were the norm.  We knew we wanted to tear the beams down - further exposing holes in the paneling.  We discussed the problems for a while, and finally decided that we needed to do it right - lose the paneling.  Craig and I pulled the beams and paneling out and had the drywall patched.  And we decided to take out the built in book cases out also.  Here's the only shot I have of the before of the fireplace wall when we moved in:

I know the picture has some sort of funky thing at the bottom - sorry, I have no idea what that is.  :-)  But you can see what we started with.  Not so pretty.  So the bookcases, beams, paneling, mantle, and hearth came out.  We painted the drywall, added a black granite hearth, and had a custom made mantle installed.  Here's the fireplace almost complete:

Huge improvement already!  I had two things left to do - paint the brick.  And paint the brass metal doors.  This is the scene as I was preparing to paint the brick.  Do you see that cat litter bucket?  That's where I swept the old ashes - I figured since the metal doors were off, I might as well give it a good cleaning.  After that, I primed the brick with oil based primer, then two coats of paint (Glidden Onyx Black in satin).  This is what it looks like now:


Notice that I didn't paint the inside of the firebox - we actually use the fireplace and I didn't use high heat paint on the brick (I will on the metal doors).  Now all that's left is to spray the metal doors.  And this fireplace will be gorgeous!