Thursday, July 7, 2011

My Bridge

I consider myself a very New England-y girl.  I was born in Claremont, New Hampshire.  And lived in New Hampshire all through my two's.  Yeah, that's right.  My dad was relocated when I turned three.  And we shuffled off to Buffalo.  But I still cling to my New England roots.  Most of my family is still there.  And I love visiting.  My mom hailed from Windsor, Vermont - a very small town.  My dad started in Pepperell, Massachusetts.  Yet another small town. My father went to college, and then in to the Air Force.  And somewhere along the way, met my mom.  After they were married, they moved all over the country.  My oldest brother was even born in Texas. But they finally ended up back in New Hampshire.  Where I was born.  Whew.  Because I am very New England-y.

For a brief time, we lived in this house:


How gorgeous is that?  I don't have too many memories of actually living there.  My parents bought it with plans to remodel it.  And just when they got started, my dad was transferred to Buffalo...

But back to the bridge.  Well, my mom was lucky enough to grow up down the street from this bridge:

The Cornish Windsor Covered Bridge.  It is beautiful.  It's the longest covered bridge in the country.  And it connects Windsor, Vermont to Cornish, New Hampshire.  I have loved this bridge as long as I can remember.  And I'm not a huge fan of bridges.  It is so charming and quaint.

So when I was thinking about what my blog would be about, I thought of this bridge.  The beauty and simplicity.  And where it all started.