Monday, July 11, 2011

My Little Black Table

I was staring at my calendar Saturday night.  Completely transfixed.  It seemed like there was some sort of error.  I checked and double checked.  But there it was - a completely free Sunday.  Not one kid event.  None.  No one needed a ride anywhere.  There were no hockey games or rehearsals.  No one had to go to work.  No birthday parties.  Nothing.  I was free to sleep in Sunday morning.  A very rare day in our house.  Which made my mind race - what would I knock off my to do list?  There were so many choices.

So I slept in...all the way to 6:30.  Ok, so I'm not very good at sleeping.  But I had a much bigger problem.  I was not very motivated.  And with each cup of coffee, I was still struggling to get started.  Maybe my day wouldn't be very productive after all.  And then it hit me - I needed a trip down to Buffalo Reuse.  A great shop for all things old.  I could meander around there for hours and look at the old doors, windows, tubs, staircases - they have everything.  They salvage tons of stuff from old buildings.  It makes for a fun Sunday afternoon.


So I grabbed my husband and off we went.  We decided to make a day of it.  We planned a downtown lunch.  More thrift store shopping.  Just a carefree day.  

We walked around Buffalo Reuse - enjoying everything old - when I spotted a little table.  It was 5 bucks.  Yup - it was coming home with me.  I was also interested in a coffee table ($5 also) but couldn't think of a space for it...so I left it behind.    This was turning into a slightly productive day and I was excited to spend the afternoon treasure hunting.  Then we got a text...our son picked up a shift at work and needed a ride.  Well, it was fun while it lasted.

Did I mention that my son works right behind Lowe's?  So after the drop off, we slipped in for some paint.  My lazy Sunday just got a lot more fun.  My little table was getting a makeover.  Here's the table before in all it's glory:


It's a little sad there.  The bottom shelf had some sort of extra layer on the bottom that was falling off - so I pulled it off.  I removed the hardware.  Sanded it with fine sandpaper (it didn't have much of a shine so it didn't need much sanding).  It got a coat of Kilz oil based primer.  That hides the dark wood very well.  And then I brushed on 2 coats of Valspar Lincoln Cottage Black in a semi gloss.

I was unsure if I would use the drawer pulls that came with the table.  I purchased new brushed nickel knobs just in case but then decided a little Rustoleum hammered nickel spray paint (which I had leftover from another project) would look great.

Here's the big reveal:

So the total for this little black table is about $15 - and I still have a lot of paint left over for future projects.  And although I thought it would be a perfect bedside table in my son's room, I think it needs to stay downstairs - so I can enjoy it for a while.  And I'm going back tomorrow for that coffee table.  I just can't stop thinking about it...

Handy Man Crafty Woman
Creations By Kara
Tales From Bloggeritaville
The Brambleberry Cottage
Saved by Love Creations
The Blackberry Vine
Fireflies and Jellybeans