Monday, August 8, 2011

Fireplace Screen Makeover - Part 1

I've been working on a complete makeover of my family room fireplace.  I described the progress here.  I'm on the last step - painting the metal doors.  This is the first time I have ever painted fireplace doors.  I decided to try it for a couple of reasons.  First, I knew it would be a lot cheaper than buying an all new screen.  And, second, these doors are really large.  I haven't been able to find the same size screen anywhere.  I don't think it is standard anymore.

I did some research first and decided I needed high heat paint.  We do use our fireplace in the winter and I wanted the paint job to hold up.   I assumed this would be a quick and easy process.  My husband, Craig, taped off the glass so I was ready to paint:



I bought Rustoleum High Heat spray paint at Lowe's:



And I sprayed the doors.  They looked so much better...except:


Can you see the problem?  Maybe it will be obvious from this picture:



The paint has a flat finish.  Which will not look good against this:


The fireplace brick is painted in a semi-gloss black.  I was hoping for a closer sheen.  So, I jumped on the Rustoleum website to check my options.  And I was in luck.  They make a high heat semi-gloss spray paint.  I went back to Lowe's for this:


And I double checked -


So now I am just waiting for the rain to stop.  Then, I can finish this quick and easy project.