Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Inspiring the Next Generation

I've been doing some projects for my daughters' room lately.  I made some art (you can see that here) and fixed up an old table (details here).  But I'd also like to replace this:


I bought it when we first moved in - and it has served it's purpose.  There isn't much space on this wall for a dresser.  It has to fit in between the closet on the left and the door on the right.  So this inexpensive flakeboard dresser was a quick solution.  Now, I'd like to find something a little nicer and taller, so Claire will have more storage space.  Then, I'll move this dresser into the large closet:


One major problem - I haven't been able to find a tall, cheap dresser anywhere.  I'm sure I'll find one soon...

Anyway...I have already figured out what I'm going to do once I find this elusive piece of furniture.  I was inspired by this beautiful dresser on primitiveandproper.



It is stunning.  I showed my daughters and they loved the idea.  But for now, my daughter, Claire, has decided to get in on the decorating action.  So, on our recent trip to Hobby Lobby (which I discussed here), Claire picked up this little wooden box:


She was a little bored and wanted to spend the afternoon painting.  Which is a little different than what she usually spends her afternoons doing:


Yes, she plays ice hockey.  A lot.  But back to this project.  She took all the drawers out and spray painted the rest white:


Then, she grabbed all of the craft paint we had on hand and painted the drawers:



The top and bottom drawers were painted in colors we had.  The middle two were painted in colors she mixed.  I love how this turned out.  And it is a great reminder for me to find a new dresser:


Great job Claire!

I've linked this project here -

Boogieboard Cottage
Between Naps on the Porch
Pinkapotamus
Today's Creative Blog
Funky Polkadot Giraffe
A Diamond in the Stuff
Creations by Kara
733 Blog
Saved By Love Creations
Beyond the Picket Fence
Chic on a Shoestring
My Repurposed Life