Monday, January 16, 2012

Fun with DecoArt Paint

Last month, I was chosen to compete on One Month To Win It - an online craft competition.  Although I was eliminated in the first round, my second round project was already finished before I was given the sad news.  So, I still want to share this project - or collection of projects.  Our challenge in this round was to use DecoArt products.  I have used them before - most notably on my Homemade Dance Floor -


Yes, all of those circles were painted with DecoArt paint.  Now, I had to come up with some new ideas.  Of course, that meant a search through Pinterest.  The only idea that I had was to do some sort of table setting.  That would give me a chance to paint more than one thing and use more than one color.  So I searched.  And I was drawn to this - 


Unfortunately, I can't find the original source but I love it.  The turquoise and orange are so fun and fresh.  I decided to base my table setting around these colors.  So, on a tight budget and using DecoArt products, this is what I came up with - 


There are a few projects in this table setting, so I will break this up into two posts.  Today, I'll show you the pedestal bowl and candle holder projects.  If you've been a reader for a while, you know that I like to spray paint stuff.  All sorts of stuff.  And if I hadn't been told to use DecoArt paint, I probably would have done these projects with spray paint.  But, it was fun to look through all of the colors in the DecoArt line - there was a lot to chose from.  For the candle holders, I chose Calypso Blue.  It is a lot more turqiouse-y in person.  Much more like the inspiration picture.  I took a trip to Christmas Tree Shops for some supplies.  I love their selection of cheap affordable home accessories.  When I found these candle holders for $1.99 each, I was sold-


I painted two of them blue - 


It only took a couple of coats (the above picture is after the first coat).  The third candle holder was going to become the centerpiece.  I painted that one white - 


Now for the fun part - I added a $5 bowl (also from Christmas Tree Shops) using E-6000 adhesive - 



Hard to believe that this was the before - 


And there is the beginning of my table setting -


Tomorrow, I'll give you the scoop on all of the rest of the projects.