Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pulled Pork

I have been getting bored with our dinner variety (or lack there of) lately so I have been looking for new recipes to try.  I searched around Pinterest and came across this one for Pulled Pork over at Ally's Sweet and Savory Eats.  I thought it looked easy and delicious so I gave it a try.  I only needed four ingredients:


3 lb Pork Butt
1/2 bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce
1 can or bottle of Diet Pepsi
Season Salt

I coated the pork butt with the season salt and tossed it in my slow cooker.  Then I added the diet Pepsi and barbecue sauce.  I let it cook on low for 4 hours (as per the directions from the inspiration blog). So far so good.

But it wasn't quite ready.  It still required a couple of more hours (I know that everyone's slow cooker may be different) so I had to wait patiently.  Oh but it smelled delicious.  Once it cooked a little more, I used two forks to pull the meat apart.  



I did drain some of the liquid before we made sandwiches.  And some of the kids added a little more barbecue sauce.  But I have to say, this was a great recipe!  It was easy and inexpensive.  The pork was about $6.50 and the pop was $1.  I had everything else on hand (I stock up on barbecue sauce in the summer when they go on sale - usually using a coupon makes them free).  And there were leftovers the next day - so I was happy about that!  I will definitely make this recipe again.  Yum!