Friday, January 6, 2012

My Friday Five - Week 9

Yay!  It's Friday!  Don't you just love Fridays?  I do!  Well, it's also a new year.  And at the top of my to-do list this year is to be more organized.  I use to be super organized but I've let it slip the last few years.  It actually went downhill when we moved in to this house.  And there are many excuses reasons for this.  The house is large (larger than I want but we got such a good deal on it) and I try to take care of it by myself - impossible.  Plus, I'm trying to remodel it - by myself (my husband does help but I'm home more so it mostly falls on me).  I'm the painter, cleaner, and landscaper - all while raising four kids and all that entails.  I just run out of time and energy to do it all.  But this year that's going to change.  I'm making it a priority to get back to my organizational roots.  Here are some of the tips I found on Pinterest to help me.  And maybe some of these tips will help you too!


1)  I'm going to use this Declutter Calendar - 


Beth from My Simpler Life created a one day at a time declutter guide.  I think I can handle one chore a day! It doesn't feel so overwhelming when it's broken down into small chunks.  And think about how great the house will function by the end of the year!


2)  I don't wear much make-up, but when I saw this idea, I fell in love.  A make-up magnetic board - 


Laura from Laura Thoughts created this using an old thrift store frame (you know how much I love thrift store stuff) and some magnets.  Awesome.  It's so easy to see everything!  And a very inexpensive way to organize all of your make-up!


3)  Speaking of inexpensive...how about using your old bread bag tags to label cords?  I love this - 


I can't tell you how many times I have crawled under my desk to unplug something and couldn't figure out which cord to pull!  Ugh.  This is so simple - and free.  I found this idea over at Unplggd.  Definitely on my to-do list this year.



4)  If you thought that keeping bread tags was the only thing you should be saving, you were wrong.  Save all of your old cereal boxes too.  They make great magazine holders - 


I love when something so beautiful is also so cheap!  Head over to Sew Many Ways to see how Karen made this magazine holder.  I really want to make a few of these from my empty Lucky Charms boxes...


5)  Here's a great twist on pasta storage - using old Pringles cans - 


I found this on Non Obvious Solutions on tumbler (I love the name - it makes me feel better that I didn't think of this stuff myself!).  And if I get around to doing this, I would dress up the cans a bit.  And maybe add a chalkboard rectangle to label the contents since it isn't see-through.  Just to be a little more organized.  ;-)

Are you inspired to get organized?


p.s.  I found out this morning that I got booted from the One Month To Win It competition.  Sad.  If you stopped over to vote for me, thanks!  And if you still haven't been over there - you really should check it out!  The women have amazing talent.  Next week, I'll share the projects that I submitted in more detail.  Well, it was fun while it lasted!  :-)